Monday, October 5, 2009

Week 3 #7

I have a couple of challenges when using technology and thought maybe someone may have suggestions as to how to deal with them. The first is that whenever I set up any of these web 2.0 tools, I use them so seldom that by the time I come to use them again, I have forgotten how to load a photo from flickr to my blog, for example. Any thoughts on how I can avoid this? And no, I really don't want to be using these things all the time. I just want to remember how to use them when I use them the next month.
Along with that, I always seem to forget the passwords, usernames, etc that I set up. Anyone have any tips?
I have found that once I got over my fear of pressing buttons and links, I discovered that you can't really do too much damage. And so now, I just press buttons until I press the right one (isn't that what our students do and look how competent many of them are (or appear to be))! Then of course, I often don't remember how I did it to repeat the process. My the learning curve is high!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn- I agree about the passwords, addresses etc... I'm just keeping a record in my class folder and hopefully that way I can at least keep them at my fingertips for now. I find that if I don't use a technique I also lose it- one needs that elusive time to keep up with everything and playing around with technology tends to get put off- at least for me. Alice Wonderlander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another AGREE on the usernames and passwords issue! I keep them on "stickie" on my Mac--not very secure, but I don't list the ones that are important to keep secure, like my bank and credit card infos.

    I also agree about the clicking and exploring. Just go for it. I spend a LOT of my time as the tech person for our building just "playing" to figure out whatever issue our teachers are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the learning curve is very steep. However, when armed with a small notebook with sections for personal, financial, school, and classes in which I (intend to) put all my passwords.... I'm empowered.

    When you find a tool that fills a need, you'll learn it and keep that info up to date in your head.

    ReplyDelete