Monday, November 30, 2009

Week 16 #15

I read some of the comments about web 2.0 libraries with interest. Rick Anderson made some poignant comments about these libraries that made me sit up and take note. The first point he made that I felt needed thought on my part was the one about libraries needing to eliminate barriers between patrons and the information they need.
I think that most of the most frustrating parts to this course is learning to use these tools so that I can indeed find what I need and find it fast and efficiently. Knowing that I have these frustrations makes me realize that my students do too and so what can I do to ensure that they don’t. I have set up a library website to help them find their search tools easier – nettrekker, worldbook online, Alaska digital pipeline, webcat, etc; however, I know I need to do more. I have just spent a considerable amount of time showing my grade 5 students how to navigate and use nettrekker. Perhaps brainstorming with other librarians on this topic is a good idea.
His second point was about how are we bringing these services to our patrons instead of making them come to us. Again, I provide lists of search sources available and how students and their families can access them from home. It’s a slow process getting people to switch and see the relevance of these teachings (especially the parents).
I loved Michael Stephens comment about the importance of the librarian asking what technology and materials users need. That’s pretty well how I buy books right now with the limited money I receive. I ask the kids/teachers what they want to read/what they need to support their curriculum. I don’t have money to waste putting books in the library that are not going to be read/used for research.
I also love his comment about librarians must not impede access to the library. Yes, how many of us do that with our rules and regulations?

No comments:

Post a Comment